How to get the Google Sheets API key
You need a personal Google account, not a Google Suite account issued by your school or business.
Warning: depending on your account settings, your screen instructions may vary from those listed below.
Go to the Google Developers Console at https://console.developers.google.com/ and log in to your Google account. Google may ask you to identify your country and agree to its terms of service.
Click on Select a Project on the opening screen and on New project afterwards.
- In the next screen, give your new project a meaningful short name to remind you of its purpose, such as
google-jetti. You do not need to create an organization or parent folder. Then click Create.
- In the next screen, click on Google Cloud Platform at the top of the page, and on Go to APIs overview afterwards.
- Click on + ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES and search for Google Sheets in search bar that appears.
- Once clicked on Google Sheets API, select the Enable button to turn on the Google Sheets API for your project.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Credentials, then click on To view all credentials visit Credentials in APIs and services, then + CREATE CREDENTIALS and select API key.
- In the next screen, the console will generate your API key. Copy it, then press Restrict key.
- In the new window, under API restrictions, choose the Restrict key radio button. In the dropdown that appears, choose Google Sheets API, then click Save.